Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash seedling yellow, then brown and dry

Posted by GardenSpock 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 11:07

This is a summer squash seedling that I started outside due to the unseasonably warm spring we are having. Yes, I know it was risky, but I took a chance.

I planted 2 of these seeds, and I got 2 seedlings. However, one of them was yellow around the edges the first time I saw it, and then the edges turned brown and dry.

I have another seedling coming up in the next bed that is coming up completely yellow.

What went wrong? Water? Lack of nutrients? Frost damage?

These are both planted in self-watering beds and my water sensor says that they don't need more water. Mind you, the bed could be over watering, and I wouldn't know what that looks like.

Pictures can be found here: Squash Seedling - what went wrong?

Thanks for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash seedling yellow, then brown and dry

The last photo does look like over-watering to me. The yellow edged ones I wouldn't worry about until the first true leaves emerge. The cotyledons(seed leaves)provide the first nutrients to the plant(which is why you don't fertilize new seedlings)and will yellow, wither, dry up, etc., as they are used up by the plant. And, they can be damaged trying to emerge from the seed coat, as in your other post. If the true leaves show signs of yellowing or rotting, then you should be concerned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here