Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help a newbie! Is my starting mix too dry?

Posted by olbrota 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 11:13

I planted eggplant and hot pepper seeds last weekend in a commercial starting mix. I poked holes in plastic egg cartons (washed, sanitized and dried well). I misted the mix with water before sowing the seeds, closed the lids of the egg cartons, and I'm keeping them in my microwave (turned off of course) where it's a constant 80 degrees until the seeds germinate.

I read that I should not water my seeds until they germinate, but I already did once since the mix looked and felt dry (no condensation on the lids) and the egg cartons are not air tight. Should I continue to mist with water when the starting mix looks dry? Should I seal the containers in plastic wrap so they're air tight? Or should I stop worrying about it and see what happens since it's only been 4 days? This is my very first time trying to start seeds so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help a newbie! Is my starting mix too dry?

You do not water your seeds if the mixture is wet through but yours wasn't and the seeds won't germinate if they are dry. with the mix dry mist your seeds every day and maybe more often.

If it were me I'd cut the center out of the lids on your egg cartons and take them out of the microwave. Then I'd soak the bottoms in a pan of water until the dark shows on top of the soil and put a piece of saran wrap over the hole in the lid. Then I'd set them in a place that is warm and free from drafts. A microwave closed has dead air and plants need some air. Then don't water until the mixture is dry again

Look on your seed package and it will tell you the number of days for germination. My guess is that it will be about a week. Start counting from the time you wet the mix

o
RE: Help a newbie! Is my starting mix too dry?

i would have used cardboard egg cartons, that way you can transplant to whole works - you learn by mistakes :)
Also, you would have been able to put the carton in a pan of water, and it would have soaked up the correct amount of water it needs. Plastic egg carton are a disaster. :)
- best regards, paul m.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here