Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my basement too cold for my seedlings?

Posted by diddywy2 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 11:24

I have tomato, pepper and basil seedlings that are about 3 weeks old after germinating. I started them over a heating mat but after they germinated I moved them to my basement where I have them under lights. My concern is that my basement stays at 55 degrees and I am wondering if this is too cool for my seedlings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my basement too cold for my seedlings?

They'd certainly prefer warmer; 55 degrees is pretty cool. How much heat are they getting from their grow lights?

o

I have my seedlings in my partially finished, but not heated, basement here in NJ. Temps hover around 60 to 65 (MAX). Dips below 60 on really cold nights. My plants seem to be doing fine under my T12 lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

o

• Posted by bdobs 8b or 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 18:23

My tomato and pepper seedlings began thier life in my cold garage. Down to the mid 40's. They did splendidly. Your temps are just fine.

o

I have my maters and some pepper plants in the unheated sun porch.
I have recorded temps down to 43 degrees some morning this past month.
I keep the lights on for warmth on cloudy days and let them dry out between waterings they are doing excellent.

o

Hey, I'm reviving this thread with another question. I would like to start some native perennials from seed. My seeds will need to be cold-stratified which I will do in the frig. I would also like to use my unheated basement. It sounds like slow germination is the biggest issue with a colder area. What do you all think of letting the seed germinate upstairs then moving them to the basement under a light?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here