Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsrup

Nicotiana from seed issues

plantsrup
11 years ago

Good morning

I have attempted to grow them from seeds collected last year and many have sprouted however the stems are extremely thin(like a thick sewing thread) and can't support anything so the plants just lay on the soil. Most have a few leaves already as well.

Is this normal and/or what is wrong or what should I be doing with them now

Thank you?

Comments (7)

• naturemitch
    11 years ago

What is your set-up? Are the seedlings close to your lights?

When you say thin stems, I immediately think of lights being too far away and the plants stretching themselves into this predictament.

Can you post a pic?

• lam702
    11 years ago

I agree, I think its a lighting issue. Not enough sun. Once you get them outdoors, they will reseed for years, you won't need to start seed indoors unless you want to. I get more reseeded nicotiana then I know what to do with.

• plantsrup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have them in a sunny window(3-4 hours a day normally)and good light for several more, however, we have received very little sunlight(lots of clouds) in the last 2 weeks so that may be the issue as you both suggest. I have no camera currently but they look similar to a pic I have attached from the web minus a couple of leaves. Mine just sit on the soil with a 1/4 - 3/4" thread of a stem below the leaves lying on the soil. The leaves look healthy though.
    Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:233991}}

• plantsrup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also- forgot to ask in previous response.
    It was mentioned that they will re-seed for years. Will that even happen in a cold climate such as Ontario, Canada which is a 5a zone?
    TY

• naturemitch
    11 years ago

The pic you posted...that plant looks just fine. This is what your seedlings look like? I remember my nicotiania seedlings were very compact plants, growing low to the soil. Even if your plants were missing a couple of leaves, as you mentioned, I don't see an issue. Although, the sunlight you are giving them is minimal. My seedlings were getting about 14-16 hours of lighting, with bulbs within inches of the plants. When I read your description of your plants, this was what I was expecting (pic on left)....

src{{gwi:233993}}'>
    picture courtesy of calgary garden coach

• plantsrup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That pic on left is what the stems under my leaves look like. A little shorter but just as weak. The leaves on mine are quite healthy though. Hopefully some good sunny days will strengthen them as suggested.

• Tink5980
    11 years ago

I have found from trial and error to grow them in the pot or spot that you want them..

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!