Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
catharanthus roseus "vinca; periwinkle" They need dark

Posted by bugbite z9a FL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 11:28

catharanthus roseus "vinca; periwinkle"
They need dark to germinate, according to most guides.
I did my final (3rd) cycle of seed flats and included one flat of these seeds from last year.
I know they need dark but delayed making this tray dark...had to come up with the best way since the flats are outside in full sun.
In three days the vincas all started sprouting in full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reference pictures of the plant I am speaking about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: catharanthus roseus "vinca; periwinkle" They need dark

I've never really understood the concept of "they need dark/light to germinate." For seeds planted under the soil, it's dark anyway. And, in the wild they don't get to block out the sun to sprout.

At least now you don't have to find a way to give them dark!

o

Sara,
Thought a lot about that also.
Always felt that seeds that need dark, germinate under the fully leafed out mother plant before the mother plant dies. I concluded that was it. But then I read that there are other seeds that drop in dark places like swamps, etc. They need dark.
Maybe others naturally grow under tree or plant leaves that have fallen.
But as you say, "For seeds planted under the soil, it's dark anyway. " Certainly think that makes sense.
Don't think that dark means dark, rather shade. But then I am still experimenting. May change my mind tomorrow. :-)

o

I've never had success either way. In the shade they will sprout, but then grow sooo fast that by the time you uncover to check them in the morning they are 2 inch long threads that never recover....I find vinca hard to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here