Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help starting seeds in a hoop house

Posted by vschlaff 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 11:31

Hi everyone!!
we have just built our first hoop house. I'm trying to start seeds and I need to know If I'm doing it right.
I used cow pots, and got the seeds ready, but I'm not sure if it gets to cold inside at night for germination. our hoop house is not heating, I open the doors during the day for ventilation. It is getting to about 70 something inside during the day. Will they germinate during the day and be ok at night for the next month. I'm in michigan, zone 5.
do I need to cover the trays to make it dark all the time until they germinate? do I need to put a heater inside?
Thanks,
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help starting seeds in a hoop house

What are you trying to start?

Germination temps vary by seed type.

Congrats on the new hoop house! Very fun : )

Keriann~

o

Hi Ginny - If you read through the FAQs here on how to grow from seed you'll find that soil temperature is what is vital to germination, not air temperatures. That is why the use of heat mats under your seedling trays is commonly recommended.

And soil temperatures in the 70-95 degree range (depends on the seed type) must be maintained until germination happens so the only way to do that is by using bottom heat sources like heat mats.

Once the seeds sprout, then it is time to worry about what the air temperatures are and yes, in your zone you may have to provide some heat on at least a few nights. Once the plants have sprouted we try very hard to keep the air temperatures between 45 for a low and 65-70 for a high.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

o

Thanks for the help. Im growing a little of everything to start my garden outside in may. I have about 7 trays. And no power outside unles we use a extenion cord. And again using 7 trays i think i would need to plug in would need to plug in 7 cords. Thx

o

Then why not just germinate them in the house where you can supply the heat and then move them to the hoop house once they are sprouted? That would be the easiest way to go since they are in trays.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here