Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings crushed, some missing leaves; can they regrow?

Posted by Noteybook 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 11:32

I started some seeds in a tray about a month or two back and they're growing quite big. However, me living with other people has caused them to get crushed, twice! Sadly no one bothered to tell me, so I found them in their sorry state. That was about two weeks ago.
Now, some have recovered, albeit with the aid of some plant food. Some are simple green stems with no leaves. Is there any way to save those seedlings, or are they doomed? I know there is growth powder but I don't know if that applies to leaves or if it's only for roots via propagation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings crushed, some missing leaves; can they regrow?

Whether they will recover/regrow will vary with the species of plant. I can go into more detail on each IF you tell me what the plants are.

But I will add that the use of any fertilizers or other stimulant supplements on damaged plants is not usually recommended as it only tends to stress them further. It is best to let them recover without that added stress.

Dave

o

Well Dave, I was growing Basil, Jalepeno, and Habenero. It was mostly the Jalepeno and Habenero that got crushed.

I didn't know that about the fertilizers. I used a granular plant food because I was concerned that my seedlings couldn't heal themselves without some extra supplements (near all of them have their first set of true leaves; some have their second).

o

Basil and most other herbs will probably bounce back with new grow as long as the root ball wasn't damaged. They will sprout new growth from the rootball if it is just kept lightly moist.

The peppers are another issue. Some of them 'might' sprout some new growth if there is an unbroken/undamaged node left on the stem. But most of them won't and if they do it will take quite a while to do it and the growth of the plant will always be stunted.

We often take cuttings from pepper plants in the nursery to root new cuttings but the original plant never fully recovers. Woody stem plants like peppers usually switch to a short bushy growth form and any peppers it produces are very small. Honestly I would plan to replace them.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o

Thank you very much Dave! I was afraid for the peppers, I'm swimming in Jalepeno but the Habeneros pretty much got crushed. I'll look into buying new plants, since it's a tad late in my zone to start them from seed again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here