Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too much water

Posted by tobaira 5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 11:36

Am I overwatering my tomatoes? Most of my tomato plants look great but a handful are turning yellow and brown on the outer edges of the leaves. I think what I found said overwatering, but I'm watering all of the plants about the same amount and they aren't all having this problem. Some of them are planted in fertilome ultimate potting mix (peat moss, perlite, limestone, dolomite) and some are planted in the mix that's in my beds (topsoil 50%,compost 20%, manure 20% and humus 10%). The yellowing is happening on larger plants in the potting mix and smaller plants in the bed mix. I just want to make sure I catch whatever is causing this before it starts hitting all the plants. I do top water (I know bad, sue me, I don't have a set up this year to bottom water), and I dont think I water too much, usually once a day but not a lot of water (maybe 1/2 a tbsp?). They are in 16 oz cups. I had just watered before I took the pictures so thats why the top looks wet (I tried putting some fertilizer in them last night). Maybe I need to let them dry out and then give them a thorough watering after that..

-t

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too much water

Have you had these outside? It looks like the leaves are burnt. Did you get water on the leaves outside in the sun--that will burn them? Are your lights too close? I think it's more an environmental problem than anything else

o
RE: too much water

They haven't been outside at all - they've been inside under the lights. At first I thought maybe the tall one got too close to the lights (darn thing has been growing like crazy lately) but some of the lower leafs on the plant are showing the same yellowing as are some of the smaller plants (not pictured) that are probably 3" away from the lights. So I don't think it's the lights burning it, but I could be wrong. I dont think I've given any of the tomato plants fertilizer so I dont think that would be it. Any other ideas?

-t

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here