Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Makes me Hungry!

Posted by mandolls 4WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 11:36

I finally have some photogenic seedling. These are all about 2 weeks since emerging, Lettuce is a few days older. But the last pic taken this morning is where they are destined for, tough it will triple in size this year. I may go out today and shovel my raised beds!

Basil, Broccoli, Mixed Lettuce, Tomatoes,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Makes me Hungry!

I love your Tomatoes mine still very little. You live in Zone 4 in Wisconsin I guess Don't you think it is too cold for these babies to go out. I live in zone 7. Last season I took them out in April but it did not give me ant advantage they were cold and sad until it wormed up in May. That why I am projecting May this season to transplant them out.

o

What is the potato leaf variety in that picture?

foolishpleasure,

When starting tomatoes from seed, they need to be started well in advance of when they will be transplanted them. Depending on the setup, quite large tomatoes can be grown indoors, without a great deal of trouble. Obviously, hardening off is the key, but there are other ways to protect tomatoes outside before the frost-free date. The real key is soil temp (and there are ways to raise that early as well).

o

Yes its definitely to cold to put anything outside right now. Though I am planning on putting "cold-frame" lids on the raised beds and putting out the cold loving plants out in a few weeks. It did get up to 50 today so there is quite a bit less snow. The tomatoes probably wont go out until the beginning of June though I have enough plants that I may try to get some out earlier and keep them warm at night. I have been reading up on ways to extend the growing season.

Eagle - the potato leaf is "Stump of the World". This is my first year growing tomatoes from seed and my first time with heirlooms. Making choices was hard! I think Remy from Sample Seeds said these were one of her very favorite, so I am trying them.

o

I hear you mandolls, everytime I head to the basement to care for the babies I think about eating, I cannot wait.

From 2011-04-02 4-2-11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here