Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyman720

Why do lights need to be so close but not when outside?

sandyman720
14 years ago

Why do lights need to be so close to seedlings when inside but in a greenhouse or in a windowsill the light is so far away? Maybe a stupid question but I just dont get it.

Comments (11)

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Sun > fluorescent lights. By like, a lot. :)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

The sun is brighter than any lighting but we are advancing.

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Seedlings in tanning beds! :) There's a hydroponics store down the street from my office that I go to sometimes because they carry Fox Farm. Man, they have some fancy, complicated setups in there. Only thing is it can be kinda hard to get in and out of there quickly on my lunch break. The employees are pretty...mellow. :)

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Physics! The further light travels, the less intense it becomes. But the sun is extremely bright so the few extra feet are immaterial.

Mike

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Nice sleepy.... is that where your name comes from LOL?

Keriann~

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

By like, a lot. :)

'Bout sums it up Sleepy. Only I think I would have said

A LOT!!! ;)

Dave

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Hehehe, noooo, Keriann. :) Actually, it was my horse's name; I used to show Quarter Horses. I swear, I am a fine, upstanding citizen who only goes to the hydroponic shop for potting soil. :)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Maybe think of it this way....

Can you get tan under shoplights?... no

Can you burn in the sun?... yes.

The sun is MUCH more intense than a bulb. They are similar because they both shed light, but the similarities really stop there.

Not a stupid question :)

Keriann~

Sleepy- very cool. I love horses. I wanted one when I was younger but my dad got 'me/him' a lawn mower. He said we could ride it, feed it gas and no clean up! lol. It was quite a sad day though, because I really thought he bought me a horse on the farm....nope just a john deere in the horse stall..... but we called the horse lol.

• nutsaboutflowers
    14 years ago

Hey Sleepy33

The last time I was in a hydroponics store, their employees were pretty mellow, too.

The place smelled to high heaven!

BTW I was there looking for lights =:)

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Keriann- Your dad was a smart man; he could have bought a new lawnmower every year and still come out way ahead! Horses are great, but showing is expensive.

Nutsaboutflowers- uh huh, suuuuure you were. Just lights. Mmmhmmm. Just kidding. :) My husband keeps telling me I'm going to get a visit from the cops to see what I'm growing with all my lights. Oh, and my hydroponics store smells weird too- they sell these really strong odor-absorber air freshener things. Gee whiz, I wonder why a gardening store would have such a big display of air fresheners?? I was thinking when I was there that if I was a cop, I'd sit outside that place all day and see who their big customers were... :)

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Keriann, that is so sad about the horse! :( I too waited my whole childhood for one. We had the space, even had the barn, but only a dog and a ferret materialized. Can't exactly strap a saddle on them... So jealous of sleepy! :)

Kim