Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
home made seed starter

Posted by rersoap z6 Pittsburgh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 11:42

I just made some seed starter mix from coconut coir, vermiculite and worm castings. Is adding the worm castings going to be too much for my seeds? Do I have to sterilize the castings first? This will be for tomatoes and peppers.

Mix will be around 70% coir, 20% verm. and 10% castings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: home made seed starter

No way to know for sure unless someone just happened to have personal experience with the exact same mix.

The worm castings wouldn't be so much a threat to the seeds IMO but would to the young seedlings. Just emerging seedlings don't need and are very intolerant of supplemental fertilizers. Nitrogen especially, in just about any form, can kill them off before they even have time to straighten up their stems.

As the age and develop true leaves - say 2 sets - their need for them increases as does their tolerance.

So personally I'd leave out the castings. Save them for adding to your mix come the true leaf transplanting time since the plants won;t be able to remain in the coir mix for long.

Dave

o

While I never add fertilizer to my seed mix, for your tomatoes and peppers, both fast germinating and growing, using 10% castings, which are potent, but slow, I think you will be alright. For other seeds a would not do it. Al

o

Thanks folks. I did not get your answers in time and planted the seeds. I will report back as to how they grow. I did a little poking around on that web thing and some of what I read said that with worm castings, some have noticed a marked improvement in germination rates. I will let everyone know what I find out. By the way, they are my own castings so I know what went into them.

rich

o

How did your plants fare Rich? I've just sown some seeds with a little worm castings added beneath each one. I am eager to see the results, if any.
PK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here