Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflower seedlings flopping over... help!

Posted by pokokpenyu (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 11:49

my sunflowers (Helianthus annuus, from a packet of yates seeds), germinated about 5 days ago. they were growing fine, if a bit leggy. but today, suddenly, they're starting to keel over! help!

the soil doesn't feel too damp, so i don't think it's damping off. my cat did try to attack it, so maybe it got damaged? what can i do? should i repot? should i add soil? should i try to stake them with a chopstick?

would really appreciate any ideas or advice! thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: close up photo of the sunflower seedlings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflower seedlings flopping over... help!

They need light that is why they are so leggy. You can do all that you mentioned but it comes down to them needing more light.

o

thanks for the tip :) i transplanted it last night, and put it under florescent light. looking much better today! yay!

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting process and pix of how they look today

o

Try direct seeding those sunflowers in the garden about May the 15th to May 25th. in zone five. I have never had a success transplanting a sunflower. My past attempts at potting and transplanting have done what your's are doing.

Plant them at least twelve to fifteen inches apart. Use two seeds per planting and cull for the best of the two. Cut do not pull your cull. Pulling will harm the keeper's small tender root system.

o

I wish I could, but at the moment, I'm gardening out of a balcony, which means I have to rely on pots, pots and more pots. I planted them about 2-4 to a pot, depending on the size of the pot, giving myself a 50% chance of failure.

They are looking alright so far. Still standing upright, and new leaves are forming. Hopefully they keep that up!

But I'll be moving soon to a house with a raised plant box. Planning to plant a whole row of sunflowers - mixed between Mexican and this one. Not sure if I should transplant what I already have or leave them as it is. Maybe I'll just start afresh. Wish me luck! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here