Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with leggy seedlings?

Posted by sandyman720 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 11:50

What do I do with leggy seedlings? I think I left them in the humidity domes too long before putting them under lights.

Is there a fix for this or will they eventually be ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with leggy seedlings?

It depends on what you are growing. There are many many threads here about this problem and in Growing under lights. Do a search.

o

Agree that it all depends on what the plant is and how bad they are. Most, but not all, can be fixed by deep transplanting. But as taz said, there are 100's of discussions on how to prevent them and how to fix them. Just search 'leggy seedlings'.

But no, without some sort of fix, depending on how bad they are, they won't be ok. The stem is the plant's circulatory system - it's food and water supply - and it is weakened and damaged when stretched and skinny.

For future reference, the humidity dome should be removed as soon as the first few seeds in the tray germinate (break the soil) and placed immediately under the lights with the lights as close as possible.

Dave

o
RE: more info

Here is a good start on reading about leggy seedlings for you.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Leggy seedlings discussions

o

I see on your other post on the Tomato forum that we are talking about tomatoes. They are quite leggy per your pic posted there. Tomatoes benefit from deep transplanting ASAP. Bury them right up to just below the leaves and then provide more, closer light or they will just get leggy again.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here