Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot extension - Don't laugh

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 11:56

I purchased these nice "big" peat pots 4"x4"x4" thinking they would be big enough to carry my tomatoes through to planting time. They have more volume than the 16oz cups everyone seems to use, but they are a tad shorter.

I was advised to pot up to a taller pot, but I dont have room for a wider one, so I adapted the plastic cups, and put them right on top of the peatpots. I snipped off the bottom 2-3 leaves and buried the plants another 3-4 inches.

Think this will work? The "new pots" are 7" tall now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot extension - Don't laugh

Funny you should post this, I just saw a blog post that shows something like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: A New Use for Your Toilet Paper Roll

o

Hmph - I thought I was being original and clever, but I guess it has all been done before.

o

I'd never seen it before, so I think it's original and clever! ;-) I don't see why it wouldn't work. The roots will start poking through those peat pots if they're looking for more room. Since they aren't, I'm assuming their original containers are still providing the roots with the space they need. I think you get an A for ingenuity!

o

Thanks Loribee. They seem to be working just fine, and I can always add another cup if I need to, though transplanting might get tricky if it gets to precarious.

o

So clever, I am going to do that! Thank you for sharing. :)

o

When I saw your thread title I thought university extensions were now advising people on how to grow pot!
I do like your use of those cups. It's hard to find deep containers without them being really wide too.

o

My old leaky bathtop is not a raised bed in my garden anf grows excellent tomatoes. I always find use for old things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here