Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French marigolds: awful germination rates

Posted by dirtgently 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 12:03

I sowed three different varieties of marigolds on 27/March and I am getting awful germination rates: 0% to 20%. This is much worse than any of the other seeds that I've sown around the same time - even so-called tricky to germinate kinds.

Does anyone have any tips? Do they need to be sown head-down? Surface sown? Tails removed? Something else?

Mine were sown into Pro-Mix potting & seeding mix, either scattered on the surface or lightly covered. No bottom heat was applied, but the room is fairly warm (15-20 degrees C or 60-70 Fahrenheit).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French marigolds: awful germination rates

Marigolds are typically a no-brainer. Is this seed you purchased? Usually all you have to do is sow, lightly cover, water, and in a few days you will have marigolds.

o

Yup, it was purchased seed. Guess I got bad batches.

o

I have always had germination rates of VERY close to 100%. I would ask for a refund or replacement. Al

o

i'm not so sure it is bad seed. I live in the Caribbean and have the temps required for germination but for years have never got even one to germinate. I grew some when in Africa, they germinated so easily and I just through the seed on the ground and it all seemed to come up. But here in the DR.. just cannot get one seed to germinate and must have tried hundreds.

o

Soak some of the marigold seeds for 3 hours. Plant.
Test germination on soak seeds.
Then take some remaining seeds and put them in a damp paper towel and store them in a frig for two days. Plant them all (germinated and not germinated).
I studied germination rates on marigolds last year and noticed that moisture helps alot.
Make sure you fertilize with a very diluted water soluble fertilizer everyday for the first 6 days after the first true leaves appear. If transplanted, fertilize with a granular 7 days after transplanting.
Good Luck

o

old marigold seed has very poor germination in my experience. maybe your seed was sitting around too long or got too much humidity moisture in the packet. try putting the seed trays in a warmer place, like on top of the lighting fixture, till germination. 60 degrees is a bit cool for some marigolds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here