Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppies have stalled out...

Posted by sleepy33 5b KS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 12:11

I've never grown annual poppies from seed before. About a month ago, I threw some outside, in a few different locations. They germinated well, but since then, they have all seemed to just stall out. They all still just have their baby leaves and aren't getting any taller (that I can see). They look healthy, green, they get lots of sun. I've started watering them a bit more, thinking that might help, though we've had plenty of rain. Shouldn't they be bigger by now? I thought they were early bloomers. Do they always do this? Should I be doing something different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies have stalled out...

don't worry they will grow. Mine are about as tall as my finger nail. The annual poppies seem to bloom a little later.
how do i add a photo? to this Message?

o

Ok, good, thanks for the reassurance. If you want to add a photo, you have to load it to a site like photobucket (easy to use & free), then copy and paste the 'HTML code' link on the photo into your message. I'd love to see pics, if only to be sure what I've been patiently watering are poppy seedlings and not, oh, say, dandelions... :)

o

Hi sleepy33,
I grew shirley poppies (annual) last year for the first time. (zone 5) They grew kind of slow, and they did not start flowering until mid July. Just be patient. They are really pretty. Word of advice though, when they get to be about 3-4 inches tall, thin them out to at least 4 inches apart. You will have thicker stems and larger flower heads. :))

o

Good to know. I fell in love with poppies this year, and hope to be able to grow from seed next year. Are these able to be grown inside, to get a head start?

Kim

o

Thanks Janie58. I will thin these guys out in the next week or so; maybe that will help give them some 'room to grow' as well. Heirloom, from what I've heard, the annual poppies can be a bit resentful of transplanting.

o

Hi sleepy33

Well I want out last week and took some pictures of my poppies and a lot of other tress and flowers everything that was blooming. I had to go out a take a few more this week.
I hope I helped you a little
di

Here is a link that might be useful: Look whats blooming

o

Thanks very much, di; I may just be dense, but I looked at the album and couldn't tell which were poppy... Mine are making (slow) progress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here