Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Seeds for early August wedding

Posted by bobzitt NW Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 12:17

Hey everyone, I am from NW Iowa and i am quite frugal, with that said, i want to have some beautiful flowers for my Wedding August 3, 2013, i am currently starting seeds and i am looking for some advise/guidance, to see what i am missing. I have little over an acre of both shade and full sun, i am looking for Red and White plants, our colors are red, white, and black, but don't want to grow anything black lol. I am not a master gardener, but i do grow every year and each year its bigger and better, i grow everything from seed and would like to have some very beautiful plants, i am in Zone 4b- I think , and i have started some white and red zinnias and inpatients. but i want some flowers that are going to pop when people see them. i want both container and cut flowers. please i will take any suggestions or guidance. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Seeds for early August wedding

You will need annuals of course rather than perennials and the red color choice limits you some but then you already know that. Still I would also post this over on the Annuals forum here for more suggestions since that is the focus of that forum. There are several past discussions there on specific color recommendations.

My suggestions would be reds: Century Fire Celosia (start indoors now, seeds will germinate in ten days at 70 degrees), Scarlet Sage Salvia (somewhat difficult and slow to germinate so start ASAP and they need light to germinate 12 to 15 days at 70 degrees to 75 degrees), and Aztec Red Verbena (easy to germinate indoors at 75 degrees). And of course there are always the common red geraniums.

Hope this helps and good luck with all the wedding plans.

Dave

PS: just me but I'd toss in a few black flowers spots too just for contrast. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here