Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more broccoli problems - yellow/purple leaf

Posted by tobaira (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 12:18

So I'm having another problem with my broccoli now -
half of my plants have one leaf that is turning a bit more purplish with twinges of yellow on the top of the leaf (the bottoms are pretty purple).. I attached pics below. Any idea what might be causing it? I'm not sure I noticed it prior to starting to harden it off a couple days ago (had it in filtered sun for about an hour on thur and then two hours yesterday). I think the temp outside was good enough, I know yesterday was in the low 60s, it might have been a little cooler on Thurs.

From what I can tell the problem might be fertilizing, temp or overwatering.. thoughts? I added fertilizer to it for the first time yesterday, although not much as I didn't want to overdo it.

sorry about the big pics, I have to run so I'll resize later
-T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more broccoli problems - yellow/purple leaf

Purpling of older leaves is normal for some varieties of broccoli - don't know your variety.

It is also common to many different types of seedlings, poses no threat to them, and disappears once transplanted to the garden. It results from the cooler temps, growth stresses, and slow root development. For all practical purposes it is "normal" in seedlings and your's look quite good and healthy and ready for the garden once hardened off.

Keep in mind that feeding leads to top growth and the roots have to be able to support that top growth once it develops so go easy on the feeding.

Dave

o

Your seedling looks great. Don't stress. :)

o

thanks, that helps alot - I was really beginning to worry that they were going to keel over just before I got them out to the garden!!
And the variety is Packman.. I'll remember for future use to make sure I include that!

Thanks again!
-T

o

I think it was the giant teddy bear that was causing them all that stress =)

o

lol! But the broccoli leaf is as big as his head in that picture so he shouldn't be that intimidated! Maybe it was the whole gang of stuffed animals that were putting on the stress!

I'll have to watch the background better next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here