Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conflicting Instructions..What to do?

Posted by lilyluv 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 12:19

I am trying my hand at starting seeds indoor this year. I have planted the Annual Phlox (Fantasy Mix). The back of the package says to keep them "in a warm, well-lighted area" and my new Park's Success with Seeds book (which I love!)says to "sow indoors at 55-65 degrees.... Indoor or out, cover the seeds as they need darkness to germinate. there is a lot of difference between the two instructions! What do I do?

Also, when instructions say "alternating temps of 55 to 70 degrees" does that mean I take them off the heat mat at night and back on during the day? It was one of the other seeds that I planted.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conflicting Instructions..What to do?

I think the rule of thumb is to germinate the seeds in darkness, but get them under the lights as soon as the seedling pops through the soil.

Mind you, for me darkness just means "not under the lights". I don't put them in a closet or anything. But you do want to cover them to retain moisture, and check them daily so that you can get them under the lights the minute you see the seedlings pop up.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

There is no conflict my friend. When you sow the seed you cover it with 1/4 inch soil and this created darkness. When they sprout they need light 24/7. You give them that much light because they don't see the sun. I read in a book that 24/7 light under flourcent lamp is barley equal to one hour in the sun. As for heat as soon as my seeds sprout I take them off the heating Mat. By this way they grow short and fat (stucky) as opposed to very tall and thin on the Heating Mat. I learned that from some books and It works for me.

o

If you plant your seeds direct in the garden,climate permitting, you automatically get the fluctuating temperatures Park recommends. Many seeds will germinate much better with these conditions. Many use the "winter sowing method" which works, but the seed germinates when the conditions are right for the seed, not necessarily for the gardener. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here