Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus questions

Posted by D.Taylor73 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 12:22

This was my first time starting plants indoors from seed. I have learned alot from this forum. About a week ago I started bringing my plants outside. I do not want to bring them back inside for a night because of bugs I may bring in with them, but its supposed to get down to 38 monday night. Will my coleus survive in the shed? I know frost would kill them. Also when is the right time to pinch off the tops so they start to branch out? They are about 6' to 8' tall now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus questions

If they are 6 to 8 feet as you indicated then it is waaayy past time to pinch them off. :) If they are 6-8 inches instead then you need to start pinching ASAP, 3-4" is pinching height if you want really bushy ones.

The will survive 38 degrees but it is colder than that at ground level so they really need to be covered for extra protection. Stick a couple of stakes in the ground and drape a blanket over them or put a heater in the shed if all else fails.

Dave

o

Thanks. They are 6 to 8 inches. sorry. I have choc. mint, black dragon and some mixed. Should I pinch all back? I plan to put them in the ground next week, should i pinch them back before or after planting them? Dont want to stess them too bad.

o

You do understand that you don't have to pinch them at all, right? It all depends on the appearance you want - tall stalks or low bushy clusters.

But yes IF you want lower bushier plants then you would pinch all the varieties. As to timing pinch and then give them a week before transplanting. Make sure they are well hardened off first.

And if you are going to pinch anyway then root the cuttings for even more plants. They root easily.

Dave

o

Thanks for the info Dave. I think i will pinch half of each variety. I plan on planting them in they ground this weekend so I will give them a week atleast before pinching. I wanted to try taking cuttings anyway so that works. I love learning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here