Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paper_crane2

Are These Impatiens Healthy?

paper_crane2
10 years ago

I started these from seed. It's really my first time starting from seed (except for tomatoes). I'm not sure if these seedlings are healthy or not. I'm growing them under T8 lights. Also, am I supposed to fertilize seedlings?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mandolls
    10 years ago

If the yellow color is correct then I think you may be over watering them.

Yes you should be fertilizing them at this point. 1/4 strength diluted balanced fertilizer is what I use. - at this point in their growth I would use it every time I water.

• paper_crane2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another pic

• paper_crane2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other than the yellowy color do they look ok? I've been watering from the bottom and only when it was completely dry. Should a water from the top and only a small amount?

Thanks for your reply!

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Hopefully someone else will chime in here - I havent grown impatiens much. I have a few this year, and they never quite looked like those, but different types will have different growth patterns. Mine are bushier, but they do have an angular growth like those.

It sounds like you are watering correctly. I have sometimes had issues with small seedlings being over watered simply because the mix holds the water so long - but that looks like it has bark in it so it should drain well.

Maybe the yellowing is due to lack of Fert?

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

My impatiens look terrible too. I know from past experience that impatiens tolerate quite abit of watering as long as there is plenty of air flow.

The yellowing is what I'm experiencing this year on alot of my seedlings which led me to believe it was iron deficiency brought on by too high of a ph. I made adjustments, but it has not seemed to rectify my problems. I sprayed with foliar feed this week to see if that helps.

• Started_with_bean
    10 years ago

I've been growing impatiens for several years now and yours defintely don't look OK. It's not an insult, but they look like too much water to me. If you are letting them dry out, don't let them dry completely, just almost. I would try poking some airholes in the mix with toothpicks, and then try watering (from the top) sparingly but frequently, like a teaspoon everyday until they start to get more green. It sounds like the bottom of the mix may be getting wet but is not drying out completely and the mix may feel dry when you stick your finger in it. Impatiens are tough; they'll come back for you.

• 715rose
    10 years ago

Just wondering,could they be getting too much light. ? Remember impatiens are shade plants & wouldn't be grown in same light as tomatoes.
    Rose

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Is it possible they are infected with the downy mildew that was devastating impatiens last year? It is apparently not passed on through seeds, but it can be passed on by soil and containers. It stunted my impatiens in hanging baskets last summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens disease becomes hot topic