Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct Sowing Techniques/Equipment

Posted by HealingHeartsFarm MO (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 12:33

I am a hobby market grower and most sell peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, cukes, squash etc. I usually don't sell too much lettuce, carrots, radishes and other small seed crops because of the time consuming labor involved in sowing the seeds. I bought and Earthway seeder and it is a piece of junk imo. I have looked into the 4 row pinpoint seeder, but I thought it was a little pricey and didn't like the close spacing. Are the vibrating seeders effective? What techniques do other market growers use when sowing small seeds? Is there a cheaper alternative to the pinpoint seeders?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct Sowing Techniques/Equipment

I bought and Earthway seeder and it is a piece of junk imo.

Wow, why? What is it doing wrong? Perhaps it can be adjusted/fixed? I wouldn't be without mine. Does beautifully.

Dave

o
RE: Direct Sowing Techniques/Equipment

Boy...where do I start on the Earthway? I am surprised to hear it works well for someone. I bought mine new. The seeds get stuck behind the seed plate. When the hopper gets low it doesn't pick up seed. Sometimes a seed will get jammed in the plate and it will go flying. When it does work, (not very often) it drops tons of seeds. Last year was the first year of working/ammending the soil. It pretty much requires very fine loam to even manage a straight line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here