Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting seeds from wild azalea?

Posted by bstruss 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 12:41

I have some nice flame and pinxter azalea just terminating their bloom and I was wondering about collecting/germinating seeds. I have read that folks collect the dried brown seed pods, but my blossoms simply fall off when expired etc. Therefore, should I collect these soft fallen blossoms - and wait for them to turn brown and dry etc? How do I know which of these will have seeds? I see articles on how to germinate the seeds but can't seem to find much on the harvesting/collecting process. Thanks--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting seeds from wild azalea?

Nevermind on this question. I had not looked closely enough and was noticing pods which had fallen before turning brown (presumably from strong winds). Anyhow, I now see pods turning brown on the plant (which have seeds attached). I suppose it's best to let these get as brown/dried as possible before picking (even if risking them falling)??

I accidently also double posted this to native plants section thinking that this one hadn't posted correctly etc. Sorry.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 14:33

Seed pods/seeds mature slowly on azaleas - normally they aren't ripe until late summer, possibly Aug into October.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green, unripe seed pod azalea

o

Thanks for posting that picture. I was wondering how to find the seeds. Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here