Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow spots, just 1 more week ..

Posted by tobaira 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 13:02

So I have one more week before the garden is done and I can get my broccoli in and I'll be darned if I'm going to lose these guys now. They are beginning to get yellow spots on some of the leaves. I think from what I could find it means they have a nitrogen deficiency and they need to be fertilized - does this sound right?

Also how do you know how much fertilizer to feed them? I've given some of them a little bit of fertilizer one time and by little I mean little.. like maybe 1 tbsp of the ferilizer/water mix (diluted slightly more than advised on the fertilizer instructions). Maybe that wasn't enough since even the ones that got the one fertilizer are showing the spots? I know you have to make sure they are well watered before the fertilizer so the roots don't burn. Just need to get them to hang on one more week and they'll be happy in the garden.

-T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow spots, just 1 more week ..

I'd try fertilizing half of them, see what that does. I always just go ahead and soak the roots with my diluted fertilizer mix; my understanding is, as long as you have the right ratio of water to fertilizer, the amount of fertilizer+water that you add doesn't matter. For example, I fertilize with fish emulsion. I measure the tablespoon or whatever of emulsion in the gallon jug of water, mix, and then I pour it in a seedling flat and bottom water as I normally would. Once the cups are good and heavy/full of water, I take them out. I usually rotate several flats of seedlings through that one batch of fertilizer+water until it's all been soaked up (in the course of a couple of hours, I don't let it sit around or anything, stinky!!). Hope that helps, someone else chime in if I'm incorrect in my thinking.

o
RE: yellow spots, just 1 more week ..

Sleepy is right on the money.

I use 1/4 of what is stated (on the fert. conatiner) what I first start fertilizing. so if they say one tbsp per gallon I would use 1/4 once a week. I do not pre-water and then add fert. It is one process once a week and if they need water between that, I use plain water. I also use a 1/8 mix all of they time (everytime I water) with great results. The fert. is already in my watering lines in the greenhouse so it is easier to remember weak everytime than once a week stronger.

Most of my seedlings are mature now so they get full strength once a week

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here