Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-Watering Seed Starting Trays

Posted by catbox_9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 13:04

Hello. I recently purchased a Jiffy Self-Watering Greenhouse to start seeds in. I planted a bunch of stuff about 2 weeks ago but so far absolutely nothing has sprouted. I have a heating pad underneath and have never had problems getting seeds to start in a non-self-watering tray before. Most of these seeds are things like melons and squash so it seems like they should have sprouted a long time ago.

Is it possible that the soil is too moist as a result of the self-watering system? I picked this up because it seemed convenient since I wouldn't have to water all the time but if none of my seeds come up it seems rather useless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-Watering Seed Starting Trays

How do they look, are they sitting in water?

Do they look really moist?

What medium are the planted in....peat moss, soil?

Keriann~

o

They seem very moist but not soaked. They're in those starter pellets that came with the setup.

o

Do you actually keep the resevoir underneath full of water all the time? Or did you just wet the pellets to get them to 'grow', and haven't added any water since?

o

I keep the reservoir full of water and add water fairly often (the instructions say to).

o

Well, the instructions stink. :) To put it politely. Those self-watering thingies are ok if you use them like you would normally bottom-water with any other container; that is to say, pour water in the resevoir when the cells are dry, allow them to soak up what they need, and dump the rest. Seeds won't germinate, and seedlings won't grow, in a constantly wet, soupy bog. Which is what peat/soil will be if you allow it to sit and soak up water all day long. Sorry for your struggles, hopefully you still have enough time to get some new starting mix and seeds and try again; this time, wet the medium, squeeze out extra water, fill the cells, add seeds and cover. Don't water again until the seeds sprout and the soil is dry. Hope that helps!

o

Thanks for those tips. I'll try that. I just planted some passionfruit seeds about 2 days ago so hopefully I didn't ruin those. I don't really care about the other stuff I was growing as I have my vegetable garden mostly planted. I was just experimenting with seed sprouting since I'll be growing a lot of stuff this year with my new greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here