Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almax881

Zinnia Seed - One Flower Per Plant?

almax881
14 years ago

I am growing Zinnia for the first time this year. I'm growing from seeds, and would someone tell me how many flowers are produced per seed/plant?

Are Zinnias like sunflowers that have only one flower per plant or like other flowers that have multiple blooms per plant.

I looked at pictures of Zinnia online but all of them focus on the flower and it is hard to tell.

Please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

It all depends on the variety so would have to have the name.

Some of the larger/taller ones have a single bloom until you deadhead it or if you pinch it back. Then it will branch. Most of the smaller varieties have multiple bloom heads.

Dave

• almax881
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the response Dave.

I have the following varieties.

Zinnia - Giant Violet Queen (Ferry Morse). 2.5 feet in height.

Zinnia - Chartresuse and Purple (Burpee). 3 feet in height.

Zinnia - Red King (Burpee). 3 feet in height.

Zinnia - Envy (Ferry Morse). 2.5 feet in height.

• john3
    14 years ago

almax, there are sunflowers that produce many flowers per plant. Wasn't sure if you were asking if zinnias were like all sunflowers or like those with one, solitary flower. In my experience zinnias produce multiple flowers. Cutting or deadheading produces more buds/flowers.

• davemichigan
    14 years ago

I grew a lot of zinnias last year (different types like California giant, whirliwig, giant tetra, persian carpet, thumbelina, and a few that I forgot), and they all branched and produce more than one flower per plant even without me deliberately cutting them.

• almax881
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. You all have answered my question. Knowing that one plant produces many flowers will help me to know how many seeds to plant. Thanks again.

John - I didn't know sunflowers produced many flowers per plant, so I learned something new.

• sewobsessed
    14 years ago

almax, some sunflowers produce lots more than you would think. This is from seed we crossed a few years ago, we call it our 'Summer Christmas tree' - yes, there's only one plant there. I know I have a better picture of it somewhere, but I can't find it...
    :)

{{gwi:234925}}

If you have the room, you should give some of of the newer, interesting varieties a try. Some are really cool looking and come in wonderful colors. 'Teddy Bear' is suppose to only grow 2 feet tall and is adorable!

lol, sorry, probably much more than you wanted to know...

• nanaclaire
    13 years ago

they bloom all summer also. Zinnia is my favorite flower. I plant from seed and the plants produce more than one bloom ...and then some... deadhead and they'll keep producing. I love the large varieties but have had both small and large.

• almax881
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the sunflower picture Sew. I grabbed a packet of Mammoth sunflower seeds just to see what happens.

Thanks for the response Nana. Zinnia is looking to be more favorite flower as well. I really like the Dahlia-shaped heads and all the colors. I've gotten a mix of large and small varieties.