Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bought peat pots, should I return them?

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:40

I should have read up on peat pots before buying them just a short while ago. Seems like the idea of planting the pots directly in the ground makes it a piece of cake, however everyone here seems to advise against it.

I'll stick to my 12 oz plastic cups with holes that I drill in the bottom and return the peat pots tomorrow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bought peat pots, should I return them?

Would be a piece of cake if it worked. Unfortunately most find it doesn't.

Dave

o

When I was first gardening I used the 6" peat pots for tomatoes. The tomatoes didn't do well and when we pulled the plants in the fall the roots were all tangled up and still in the peat pots. To say they will rot away in that year is not true. Pressed peat will shed water so they are resistant to rot and the plant doesn't get the moisture and nutrients it needs. I won't use them but I warn others to peal off the peat pot before planting.

I agree with you disposable drinking glasses are the best for planting. I prefer them over regular flower pots. I have found the plant slips out easier for transplanting because of the smooth round sides

o

I am with digdirt. They aren't really bad but they really suck. Save yourself the anguish and grind them up and put them in your flower beds...I would hate to admit i bought them LOL heheh

o

• Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 0:06

You can try some other alternatives if you want the whole 'just plant in the ground', like making pots out of newspaper, or trying out poopots. These don't work for me much due to my inability to attain a balance between 'too much water' and not enough' (hi mold), but they may work for you!

o

I learned to stay away from those Jiffy-7's too. And now the new rage is Coco pellets. They seem like such a great short-cut, but for me they were not cracked up to be anything but a gimmick.

o

I've found some plants can get their roots through the pot but the pot itself takes a long time to disintegrate. I usually remove a good deal of a peat pot when I plant. I'm probably going to move away from them next year.

o

peat pots are perfect, i use them all them time almost for everything, and my plants grow quite huge. I start my seeds in 4" pots, and I just moved them to 1 gallon grow bags on the weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here