Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
skinny hairlike creatures ewwww

Posted by rofl57 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:47

I started my begonia bulbs a couple weeks ago and there are what looks like long white filaments or hair on top of the soil, and they move. What are they and what do I do about them? Right now I have the entire pot/plant enclosed in a baggie, but I'm concerned that will be too much moisture as the leaves have sprouted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: skinny hairlike creatures ewwww

It is just a fungus. It develops when the humidity and air temps are just right. Your growing conditions are too damp so cut back on the watering and likely there is insufficient ventilation/air circulation. Using a small fan to move th air makes a BIG difference.

Dave

o

Thank you, but I think I haven't explained them very well. It isn't the stuff that looks like fluffy mold. These guys look like the trails left behind by slugs, but they move, like worms.

o

my guess is fungus gnat larva. they were in my potting soil and i lost alot of my seedlings because of them.

o

like long white filaments or hair on top of the soil, and they move

look like the trails left behind by slugs, but they move, like worms

Those are 2 very different descriptions. There are any number of airborne fungus spores and one of the most common looks like long white hairs laying on the top of the soil and they appear to move as they shift with the slightest air current.

Then, if the plants are outside and you are using garden dirt, there are nematodes. Long wire/hair-like parasites.

Otherwise, without at least a picture of what you are seeing there is no way to know. But fungus is by far much more likely than anything else.

Dave

o

I think it's fungus gnat larva too. I bought some potting soil from Costco a couple of years ago and that was the first time I ever had problems with fungus gnats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here