Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids - help!!

Posted by melrose Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 14:32

I recently discovered that many of my plants have aphids. I've planted seedlings for many years successfully. In March I went on vacation for two weeks and my neighbor watered. Of course, they were overwatered while I was gone so chalked up the slow growth because of that. Last night as I was inspecting the plants I think I have an aphid problem.

What's the best way to deal with it? I have about 75 flats and some look fine (like impatiens, lobelia, wax begonias, alyssum, ageratum, coleus). The worst looking are tha bacopa, vinca, browallia, diascia, fuschia and verbena. I'd really like to save what I can- with the volume and proximity I'm afraid everything may get it.

I have a fan in the area - does that help or hurt?

I'm planning to throughly inspect everything and do the following:
- spray any that do not look infected with neem oil
- remove the dead or heavily infected areas off

Typically I give a weak fertilizer at this time. Will fertilizing help or hurt??

Are any of the plants I listed as not infected more susceptible that I should be looking at first?

Advice is appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids - help!!

Aphids is also called plant lice. They very destructive but easy to control. As a matter of fact they serve as food for other bugs like ladybird and ladybug. Every insecticide lists then as one of the insects controlled. Sevin is very effective to control it. Don't throw away the affected plants they can recover if you get ready of the Lice.

o
RE: Aphids - help!!

So this weekend I took a pretty aggressive approach to spray everything with Neem. I also cut off any dead leaves etc. Tonight I still saw a few aphids and so sprayed them. The instructions say to spray 7-10 days but I'm spraying whenever I see some of them. Is that a good idea? I'm pretty worried because I have so many plants going that I really don't want them to die. Also, is it helpful to get outside as soon as possible? Which I'm sure will not be a for a couple of weeks since it's suppose to snow tonight!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here