Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaclaire_gw

planting seeds indoors

nanaclaire
13 years ago

using a seed Jiffy greenhouse tray of those little peat pellets.

I know you put 2-3 seeds per pellet, but do you all plant all the seeds in the packet or just choose say 6 plants??? Guess it depends on the room available. Just hate leaving all those seeds I guess. But then I have veggie seeds I'm planting also, like broccoli, tomato, bean, and also have some sunflowers. Would you just divide up your tray bet. the # of seed packets and figure from there maybe? I have one tray of 72 pellets. So divide 72 by the # of seed packets I have and then put 2-3 seeds per pellet. Maybe I answered my own q. LOL

How do you all do it?

Comments (3)

• sleepy33
    13 years ago

I plant as many as I want/need/have room for and save the rest of the seeds for next year.

The difficulty with planting multiple varieties in one tray is that things are going to germinate at different rates. But, if you're using peat pellets, you can just take the individual pellets out as they sprout.

• susan2010
    13 years ago

I have to restrain myself. I get really good germination, so I end up with a lot of plants. I really have to figure how many I can use, and how many I can realistically give away. I'm also limited by my indoor space. I have a nice set-up - I can fit 12 standard nursery flats under lights - but some things (like tomatoes and peppers) benefit from being potted up to bigger containers, so I have to plan for that.

Short answer - I leave a lot of seeds unplanted.

• nanbo
    13 years ago

I started pelleted wave petunias (tidal wave, shock wave and easy wave) in peat pellets about a month ago. This was my first time ever growing from seed and I'm happy to say that out of 80 pelleted seeds I have had 71 germinate into tiny little petunias. I had them under a fluorescent light in my spare bedroom but they began to get a little mold on top of the soil and didn't seem to be growing. About a week ago I moved them onto the kitchen table, gently scraped the mold off the top and exposed them to natural sunlight through the window with a ceiling fan running 24/7. The mold problem is gone and they seem to be growing really fast now but I just noticed today they seem to be getting a little "pale" looking. Do they need more light? Should I start to fertilize them (which I have not done to this point)? They have their first set of "true leaves" now. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. I am having a blast caring for them and I want to be successful. My husband calls me "The Crazy Flower Lady" because I talk to them and tell them "grow little babies grow!"..., not to mention that I fill every available space in my yard with flowers... They make me happy!! :)