Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are we crazy?

Posted by gardenmommy_2010 8A CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 14:45

Okay, has anyone else gone into their local Sierra Nursery, Green Acres, Home Depot, Lowes...? I think I've gone nuts! Here I am growing/loving/nurturing these little plants in my living room w/ a shop light over them, carrying them in & out each day to bask in the sun and there are giant plants just sitting at the stores begging to be bought! Somebody have me committed!

Okay, just had to get that out. I know the stores don't have the specific plants that I want - which is why I'm growing my own. Out of the 12 varieties I've started they only had 3. I just wasn't prepared to see those beautiful, stocky, foot tall plants while I beg for my 4-8 inch plants to grow. Grow, baby, grow!

My sister was the first to tell me not to doubt myself now. After all, I've got 63 tomato plants sitting in my living room, I'm only planting 23. Now what do I do! Gardening is fun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are we crazy?

After you've given extras to family, friends and neighbors, put the leftovers near the street with a "Free tomato plants" sign and watch'em disappear. Or offer them to the local food bank.

o

I do it so that I wont go crazy !

By mid March that itch for spring and gardening is so strong that I start twitching. I sure dont think I save a lot of money, but I suppose that if instead all of those hours of sowing and watering and admiring my seedlings, I was on-line ordering plants from catalogs, then maybe I am.

o

Ask Billy Joel:

You may be right, we may be crazy, but we may just be the lunatics the world is looking for.

(OK, so not exactly what he sang, but close enough!)

Mike

o

Starting from seeds fits perfectly with my neurotic, control freak personality. I don't like to be at the mercy of the garden centers and what they have and when they have it. Granted, I can find the exact plants I'm growing already done and ready to plant, but it's that ONE TIME I want something and no one has it--that makes it all worthwhile.

Plus, you know where those seedlings have been!

o

Yes we are crazy. From all the money I spend on seeds, pots, potting soil, bug spray, fertilizer, little trees from the Nurseries, compost humus, sprayers and the list is long and you end up with 4 Apples and 6 Beaches not eaten by bugs, wasps or squirrels Each fruit cost $10. For my Vegetables what the rabbets allow to have probably each Cucumber cost $3. Not to mention my labor and my back acking picking up weeds. Yes we are crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here