Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unlabeled seedlings for brandywine, bonnie best and lemon boy tom

Posted by alpm 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 14:51

I have about 45- 50 small containers of the above mentioned plants, but did not label them(first time planting using seed). Is there any way to differentiate between the 3 varieties of plant from the leaves already grown about 3 in. high. I have to share the plants with 3 other peole.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unlabeled seedlings for brandywine, bonnie best and lemon boy

Not that I know of. A tomato plant is a tomato plant until you see the tomatoes. About the best you can do is try to remember which you transplanted first and where you placed them. Of course if you moved them around then you are out of luck and consider it a lesson learned. Labelling is important--never trust your memory.

I buy self adhesive labels from the dollar store. If they are big I cut them in half. I mark them with a permanent marker and stick them right on the pot-glass or whatever I use for potting. Another trick I have used is to plant each variety in a different colored glass. Again you would have to mark down somewhere what color represents what.

o

Often asked on the Growing Tomatoes forum here and the answer is as oilpainter said - no way to tell until you see the fruit (and sometimes not even then).

The only "sorting" that can be done now is your Brandywines IF they were true Brandywine seed rather than one of the many rip-offs. Real Brandywines are PL not RL. They have potato leaves not regular leaves. The other 2 are both RL.

Dave

o

Dave-----

You learn something every day--I never grew barndywines so I didn't know that. Are there other heritage tomatoes that do that? Makes sense doesn't it Potatoes and Tomatoes are relelated after all.

o

Yes there are several open pollinated varieties with PL - Stupice, Matina, German Johnson, Caspian Pink, Pruden's Purple, Grandpa Charlie are a few I can think of off-hand that I have grown although there are many others. Brandy Boy is the only hybrid that comes to mind off the top of my head.

There are other leaf variations too - rugrose, angora, etc. Good pics in the FAQ on Tomato Leaf shapes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Leaf FAQ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here