Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penguinsrock09

Leaf Problems

penguinsrock09
12 years ago

I have noticed over the past week that the majority of my seedlings of all varieties are starting to get white spots on the leaves. I've attached a picture of an eggplant seedling as reference. Now I've looked all over and can't figure out what the cause is. The seedlings are all a few inches under a florescent bulb and are watered every few days.

Does anyone know the cause of this and also what I can do to help fix the problem?

{{gwi:235526}}

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Can't be sure if it is the color in the pic or not but the plants appear to be awfully yellow/lt. green. That is usually a symptom of over-watering. If so then the white spots can be the result of spotty root death from the wet soil.

Another possibility is contact with the light bulb at some point but you seem to have ruled that out.

What potting mix are you using? It appears to quite dense and has compacted in the cups. That could be contributing to the problem.

Lastly, have they been outside at all so that disease or pests is a possibility? Any sign of fungus gnats?

Dave

• penguinsrock09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dave for the quick reply.

The vibrant green colour is a result of the flash so they are not that bright of a green.

I thought it could be a watering issue but I water very lightly after a few days. The plants have never been outside and it doesn't seem to be a fungus.

The texture of the leaves feels very dry in those spots. I'm using potting soil which I quickly learned is not the best for starting seedlings.

My only other thought was there is too much heat under the florescent bulb. It doesn't feel too hot and the lights seem high enough up. They stay under the light for 10 hours a day. Could the light be burning the leaves?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Heat from the lights isn't normally an issue. But it all depends on the bulbs you are using. T5s put out more heat than T8 or T12 so but it wouldn't be that spotty.

If the soil is a potting soil then then it is the most likely cause - compaction and water retention issues. Seen any fungus gnats?

Dave

• penguinsrock09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There have always been some fungus gnats flying around since the seeds were first planted. I have since cut back watering and the top soil layer is not wet and there are no fallen leaves on the soil.

From what you've said and what I've read it seems to be the fact that the potting soil does not allow water to flow or the plants for that matter. The soil is too compact. For starters I've used a toothpick to loosen the soil and I will repot them into a more appropriate mixture once I visit the local home depot.

Thanks for your help with pointing me in the right direction!

Joseph