Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coneflower growing from seed. Newbie

Posted by he8833 MN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 15:05

I have a quick question regarding the next step after collecting some coneflower seeds this past fall. I followed these steps from here http://gardenhacker.blogspot.com/2007/09/removing-purple-coneflower-seeds-hack.html

I have to admit I did store them on a partially enclosed screened in porch that was out of direct sunlight vs inside. My concern here is they were subjected to the abnormally warm winter here in Minneapolis.

I just found the baggies and would like to know what my next step is in terms of planting them in the ground.

First will they take considering they were left outside, though in a plastic bag?

If so, how deep do I plant them? What can I expect the first year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coneflower growing from seed. Newbie

The seed need 4 weeks at 40F as a pretreatment...If they did not get this then store in refrigator for required additional time....
then lightly cover seed soil temp 70-75F for germination.. taking 10-12 days..... germination to transplant 8 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here