Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradogal_gw

Starting Seeds Indoors

ColoradoGal
10 years ago

Hello there. This year i finally have a home that has a large, raised bed garden and we have been very excited about starting seeds of all kinds. I have never had much of green thumb and I am starting to get quite frustrated.

We started some seeds a few months ago. They germinated very well, but once they were about 2 inches tall they shriveled up over night. I was so upset but tried again. I read that maybe we were over watering so I watered less the next time with literally no results. I have started round 3 and although some of my seeds to be coming up those dont look great and I am again worried about over watering. We have come cucumbers, toms, herbs, peas, beans and sunflowers started and the peas look great (i havent had any trouble with those at all actually).

I mixed water with my peat/vermiculite mix and planted the seeds as directed on the package. I covered them with plastic wrap, but they began to get moldy. I had purchased all new peat pots and mix for this round three and bleached the flats i have them in as well. I have them just a few inches under grow lights, between 10-12 hrs a day. The mold appeared within 24 hrs of starting, so I removed the covers. We have 2 fans going at times to maybe help with the mold problem and i try to keep them moist but still am worried about over watering. I have been covering them on and off but then worry about mold. I dont understand how as a child my mother and I would start seeds and they would grow just like that and I am having so much trouble! I am so frustrated and worried because we have such a short growing season here and I am not going to let our garden go to waste. Any suggestions!!!???

Comments (3)