Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i use a normal light bulb to grow with

And can i use a 100w reptile bulb

o
RE: can i use a normal light bulb to grow with

No for the first question.
Probably no for the second question.

Watts aren't really relevant in growing things. You need to find out how many lumens the bulb is putting out, and at what spectrum.

I use bulbs that are only 45W - but put out 2800 lumens at 5500K. They work great, but cover a small area (fit into a regular socket). If you are growing more than a few small plants at once it would be easier to use a long fluorescent type.

added: Also, my 2800 lumens is on the low end for a grow light. I've had some issues because of it, with certain plants getting leggy or pale in color because they want something stronger.

It works for me---but will depend on what you are trying to grow and how quickly you can adjust things if needed.

This post was edited by SaraElise on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 19:47

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here