Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leggy/floppy time to transplant?

Posted by evilingarnett 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 15:26

I probably shouldn't have "forced" the germination on these guys. They are sunflowers, but having same deal w. morning glories.
They are outgrowing their little pots and are starting to flop over, mebbee getting leggy.
I have 3 more weeks before I can put them outside according to calender.

Should I put them in a bigger pot now, before I put them outside on mothers day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leggy/floppy time to transplant?

I sprouted sunflowers indoors on a window sill for a change. They did this. Then I put them outside in full sun and they stiffened right up. Don't they tend to be leggy anyways?

This post was edited by cold_weather_is_evil on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 2:05

o

If it is 3 weeks until you can transplant them out side then you will have to do an interim transplanting indoors. Plant them deep in the new pots, burying most all of that bare stem.

Dave

o

Well, to me they don’t really look large enough to be outgrowing their container just yet. The medium they’re in appears to be a little too wet and probably a little too shallow. Transplanting to larger pots later will definitely be beneficial. For now, I’d just try to straighten the seedlings up, add more of your growing medium (to cover most of the stems as Dave has suggested) and cut down on the watering.

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here