o
Seed media

Posted by boysselle5 8a (bomber6e@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:45

Hello: I'd like to know your soil recipe to start seeds. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed media

No make-your-own-soil recipe for seed starting gets many recommendations, just reports of problems. Density issues, fungus, reduced germination, damping-off, bacteria, ethylene gas issues, water retention, compaction, pH problems, etc. can all result from trying to mix your own. Commercially packaged, soil-less seed starting mix works best since it is sterile and already pH balanced.

If you want to mix your own growing mix that is a different matter and many recipes are available for both raised beds and for use in containers. None of them contain soil (dirt) however.

Is that what you are looking for?

Dave

o

Yes, recipes to do my own growing media for seeds. Thanks

o

Sorry but I guess I am not being clear. The media used to start seeds, to germinate them and grow them to transplant size, is very different from the media used to grow plants. One does not use growing media to start seeds.

So are you talking about starting seeds and seedlings which is the focus of this forum or are you talking about growing plants? There are no approved recipes for starting seeds. It is an important difference.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here