Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_growop

Sudden seedling death - watermelon, cucumber

mrs.growop
16 years ago

Hi All!

I'm new the forums and to gardening (although I've discovered somewhat of a 'green-thumb', must be genetic).

I have started a number of veggies from seed. Currently, I have tons of healthy, sturdy plants ready for the outdoors in a couple weeks. I am growing under lights with great success. Except I have observed the sudden wilting and subsequent death of 3 watermelon seedlings (Early Starter, Sweet...) and 1 cucumber seedling. The watermelons were just starting to sprout their first set of true leaves but the cucumber was working on its second.

Overwatering, and lack of air flow I suspect were the culprits. My circulating fan broke down and I was slow to replace it. I noticed some grey-ish, powdery/fuzzy mold growing along the rims of the compostable (peat?) pots that they were growing in. So far, the recycled plastic juice/water bottles have been the best to use, especially for larger plants like tomatoes, zucchini, dahlias.

I have since sprayed everything with a mild 9:1 bleach solution and have gotten the air circulating again. Also, let everyong dry out a bit.

One watermelon seedling, while still wilted, seems to be growing taller but the others are goners. I also think that a couple basil seedlings may be on the brink.

Any suggestions to stop the sudden deaths? Have I treated the situation reasonably?

Are there some special tricks to starting watermelon and cucumbers?

Thanks All!! Happy Growing!

Comment (1)