Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are snapdragons fast or slow growers?

Posted by janie58 5 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 16:24

I planted snapdragon seeds inside (tall deluxe mix colors) on 3/13 and had sprouts on 3/18. Today is 4/2 (approx 2 weeks since they sprouted) and they are about an inch 1/2 tall and starting to get their first set of true leaves. According to the seed packet, they need to grow inside for a period of 6-8 weeks before I harden them off and plant them outside. My question is, since they are supposed to grow to 3 feet in height, when can I expect them to really TAKE off? Will they get HUGE inside, or will they be doing most of their growing outside? I have never grown these before. Thanks for any info. :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are snapdragons fast or slow growers?

You don't need to grow them inside for 6-8 weeks. You can plant them out as soon as your weather allows and you feel they are big enough (i.e. 3 or 4 sets of leaves, 4-6 inches tall, won't wither up without constant watering or if a strong wind comes along). That said, assuming you keep your lights close enough, they won't get out of hand before you plant out; they won't grow faster than their roots will let them. I have some that I started in February; they're a little leggy, as I ran out of space under my lights and they've only had sunlight for the past week or so, but they are still probably only 6 inches tall.

o
RE: Are snapdragons fast or slow growers?

They will grow faster with each set of new leaves. They don't do that well inside unless you keep your house on the cool side. They are cool weather growers doing best in spring and fall IMO but should do better in summer in your zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here