Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Hormone on seedlings?

Posted by cebiginalaska 3a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 16:41

Hello. I am going to try and make a DIY rooting hormone for my Sans cuttings and I was wondering if anybody uses it for seedlings that have sprouted but haven't formed their "First real leaves" took one of the seedlings out of the soil (accidentally) and it looked like it was starting to try and form additional roots (other than the primary root) but it hasn't formed any lateral roots yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Hormone on seedlings?

Rooting hormones? Never. Just transplant them to individualt cells/containers. It is the act of transplanting them the first time that triggers the fibrous root development. You can wait for the first true leaves to develop but you don't have to. I transplant 100s a day as this stage you have now. Withing 24 hours the fibrous roots develop.

Dave

o

You don't use rooting hormones on seedlings. You'd do them more harm than good

o

I read somewhere where you can use the Willow root growing hormones on seeds or seedlings as well as cuttings.

o

One can "read" all sorts of things, all sorts of claims.

Not only are millions of seeds germinated annually without using them but ask a commercial grower if they ever use rooting hormones for seedlings (much less willow root). Just don't be offended when they laugh or say "what on earth for"?

Been in the nursery business for over 50 years now and rooting hormones reside in the cuttings greenhouse, not the seedlings houses.

But if you want to find out for yourself, go for it.

Dave

o

Thanks for the input Dave. Will only use it for the cuttings :)

o

Have researched mycorrhizae fungus that can be added to the soil to help with root development. I bought a bag and it's a very dust like powder that you can sprinkle or dissolve in water. I mostly forgot about it, but the few plants I did add it to, did not show any difference what-so-ever from their neighbors. Perhaps it's more useful out in the garden where this beneficial fungus is supposidly becoming scarce. Am curious tho, if anyone else has tried it and if they noticed anything.

o

no. waste of money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here