Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first time tomato from seeds

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 16:49

Okay, so my garden project is almost ready with raised beds and four foot fence panels.

I've never started with seeds before. Is it too late to do so? If not, what are the conditions for growing seeds?

Because of my kids, I don't have any areas that I can put planters indoors that get sunlight.

Maybe I'm better off starting with established tomato plants in mid-May?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first time tomato from seeds

If your only choices are buying transplants grown by others or trying to direct seed tomatoes in the garden then by all means buy transplants. Direct seeding tomatoes seldom works well at all. They really need to be started indoors, under lights, 6-8 weeks prior to plant out time.

Check out the "How to Grow Tomatoes from Seed" FAQ over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. I'd link it for you but the GW servers are running really slow right now.

Dave

o
RE: first time tomato from seeds

You can winter sow tomato seeds and get very high germination rates along with amazingly hardy/healthy plants. Poke some drainage holes in a clean recycled gallon milk jug, cut it open & fill the bottom with moistened potting/growers mix. Sprinkle seeds over the surface of the growing mix and close the jug with tape or a twistie tie. Set the jug out on your deck or patio or near the house foundation (east side is best) and let Mother Nature take it from there. Once the seeds sprout, pot them up or plant them out.

Post here or check the Winter Sowing forum here on GardenWeb if you have questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here