Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cebiginalaska

1st time growing from Seeds... NOOB

cebiginalaska
11 years ago

Hello. I have never took care of plants or tried to grow anything before. I just "planted" some tomato seeds in Miracle Grow potting mix in round disposable pans that come with lids (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bake-and-give-mini-round-pa ns-and-lids-set-of-12)

I don't remember how much seeds I put in there to germinate; but I do know that I might have put too much soil over the seeds and watered them till they were practically soggy / very very wet. The soil that I put all the seeds in seemed to be colder than the air temp even they are under plastic. Yesterday I moved the seeds into the warmest place in our house which is the boiler room. And had them covered with plastic took a look at them today and they were still soggy from keeping the lid on. Took the Lid off this morning to hopefully get the soil warmer and dry out a bit.

I was wondering if I should replant more tomato seeds in Black Gold soil that is made for "starting seeds" to try to get them to germinate?
I just received some Black Gold soil today. I was also wondering if I should order lights for the seedlings to grow in. I do not have a south facing windows and I am currently unemployed so funds are limited and worried about electricity bill...

This post was edited by cebiginalaska on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 12:50

Comments (10)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

The soil's OK, it's just that you have to put it in a container with drainage holes at the bottom.

Read up on seed starting for basic info to get you started. You'll avoid many mistakes that aren't necessary. Then you can enjoy it more without so much worry. have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: growing from seed frequently asked questions

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input. I poked holes in the bottom of the cardboard / plastic pans and haven't watered them since I placed them into the soil. Still haven't seen any seedlings in the Miracle Grow potting mix but its only been about 4 or 5 days since I put them into the potting mix. Also moved them back to my room which is usually around 68 degrees F.

I think that I will wait 2 to 3 weeks to try to germinate more plants in the black soil that I bought. Temperature here is still -6 F to 25 F range. If the ones I planted live I think that they will have to be indoor plants till mid-may if they live that long.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

They will germinate faster in a warmer location and it will also help that wet soil to dry out faster. Leave any covering off in the mean time to to help it dry a bit.

Next time wet the soil well and then wring it out with your fist before filling the container. Plant the tomato seeds 1/4" deep in the soil.

The FAQs linked for you above cover all the basics for you.

Dave

• shaddow_wolf169
    11 years ago

No worries it usually takes about 7 days just to germinate and another 5 days for a sprout to come out depending on how deep you placed them. You could also germinate seeds quick with a paper towel. Place the seeds out on the paper towel spear out a little. Fold over paper towels as if your making a blanket for them. Then wet the paper towel completely. Squeezing the extra water out of the towel just want it damp not dripping. Then place in a sandwich bag. Do not completely close the bag. With in four days you will se the taproot plant that down 1/4 of an inch. I did all my seeds that way.

• bugbite
    11 years ago

What are the temperature extremes now outside where you are? Can you place your trays outside and bring them in when the temperature will drop to the high 30's? Or is that still everynight?
    Planting seeds in open trays outside sure seems to cure alot of ills that I experienced while attempting to grow seeds indoors.
    I am not saying to do all your seeds that way, only try maybe one tray as an experiment.
    You might be pleasantly surprised.

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The temp gets down to like 15 to 20 F and is about 35 to 40 during the day. They germinated okay and I transplanted them into a round cake cover. Will see how they do. If they don't make it will start over with cardboard egg cartons to make the transplanting easier.

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Temperature outside in direct sunlight is 46 to 48 degrees. Don't know how it is not in direct sunlight

This post was edited by cebiginalaska on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 22:20

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Placed them in the direct sunlight outside even the cotyledons are still forming. Will leave them there for 30 minutes to an hour. If they die will start over.

• bugbite
    11 years ago

Wow Cebiginalaska,
    I totally missed your location. Loved the picture; didn't realize you are in 3a.
    Bob

• cebiginalaska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Transplanted right after germination because they were in way too small pans. They Seem to be doing well but some of them had some trouble with growing due to transplanting or the soil. They were in a U shape coming out of the soil and going back in. The ones I caught early are doing better than the ones that I just found today. I have been giving them full sun as much as possible and even been putting them outside when it is warm enough (36 degrees or more) and they are getting bigger ;) I am going to be starting more in egg cartons to make it easier for me.