Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heirloomjunkie_gw

Spinach seeds... what gives?

heirloomjunkie
14 years ago

I planted my spinach seeds 9 days ago, and still have not seen germination. Nothing. The package said it could take up to two weeks, but I'm getting antsy. Should I have soaked them first? I doubt heating the soil will help as they are a cooler weather plant. Any suggestions?

The variety is a Burpee Early Prolific Hypbrid.

Kim

Comments (19)

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi Kim,
    They take 10 days to germinate.... ;-)

Isn't this wonderful,what an awesome time of the year,we are just beginning babyyyyy, hang on , it's going to be sooo fun.
    and I know this is going to be "the pot callin' the kettle black" ... but have patience my dear, good things come to those who wait ;-)

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehe. Thanks. This IS a great time of year! Every morning I wake up and see what has happened over night. And with tomato seedlings, a lot can happen overnight!

Pepper seedlings came up great after an anxious few days, and the onions are still doing strong.

Put down a layer of compost and manure yesterday. Only a matter of time now. ;)

Kim

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I don't know if this will make you feel any better (I hope not) ;-)

But these are my sewn seeds three different kinds all two weeks apart ,for a longer harvest ;-)

{{gwi:236334}}

{{gwi:236337}}

{{gwi:236339}}

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Haha. So mean!

How many of those concrete beds do you have, anyway?

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Twenty two ;-)

• sarcare
    14 years ago

My spinach hasn't come up either, but I'm about ready to give up on it and try a different variety/batch. I planted them 2 weeks or so ago and not a single sprout, though the lettuces, radishes, and onions are growing well and have all survived the snow the past two or three days. Mine was dark green bloomsdale.

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So all I can do for now is look at those haughtily posted pics from jonhughes and wish... ;)

• Edie
    14 years ago

One of my spinach seed packets has the following instructions:
    "Before sowing, wash seeds in a mild detergent solution; rinse and soak in water for 24 hours. Direct sow..."
    Is there some sort of germination inhibitor that the detergent is supposed to get rid of?

I'm a newbie winter sower, so I put a few seeds in a milk jug on the porch. No soaking, no detergent, just damp potting mix. They sprouted six days later. Seeds have a different sense of time than gardeners.

• sarcare
    14 years ago

Turns out I planted the spinach in a different spot then I thought and they have sprouted. Ironic because I thought they were onions, until I saw someone else post a seedling picture. Why I thought the onions looked different outside then inside I do not know.

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehe. That's funny about the onions. This year,I was really excited to see what bell pepper seeds looked like, until it struck me that I see them every time I eat a bell pepper. Duh!

Kim

• gardenathome
    14 years ago

Hi, Sarcare! LOL, glad you found your spinach and they all sprouted well. :-)

Hi, Jonhughes! We're considering using some of the same blocks for our garden too. Is it possible to post some more pictures of your garden? Very cool! :-)

• sarcare
    14 years ago

It is particularly funny because I planted even more spinach because I thought it was a dud, and it is already sprouted--I planted it Saturday. I should have a fair bit of spinach!

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I almost dug out my white flag and bought some transplants from the garden center today, but I think I will wait a few more days. Don't want to be up to my neck in spinach!

• cottage_garden
    14 years ago

Usuaully, I start them in a container and forget about them. I've had such spotty results with them sprouting when 'I wanted them to or thought they should' that I just put them in a pot and cross my fingers, at this point. I transplant once they come up. I actually have some that I planted and it took nearly a month for then to germinate.

Think I'll try the recommendation to rinse well before planting and see if that makes a difference.

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone had any better luck with chard? I just planted that Tuesday. The little shriveled fruit/seeds are so neat.

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi gardenathome ,
    You can see my video's on raised beds by clicking on the link below.... I think there are 9 total... Check them out ! !

Here is also a couple of pics (to whet your appetite ;-)

{{gwi:8597}}

{{gwi:43949}}

{{gwi:43948}}

{{gwi:28922}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised Beds by Jon (see all 9 short videos ;-)

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooooooh, Jon. So unfair. ;)

Still waiting on that spinach you promised would sprout! But my chard is doing wonderfully. I have never seen more beautiful seedlings. So many colors with the Neon Lights Mix!

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi Kim ( heirloomjunkie )

Good things come to those who wait ;-)

I took some pics of my garden this morning (90 actually) but I won't boor you with them all,but here is a few ,notice the Chard (Swiss and Rainbow) and of course (just to rub it in) an up date on my Spinach ;-)

{{gwi:21787}}

{{gwi:21788}}

{{gwi:236340}}

{{gwi:236341}}

{{gwi:12770}}

{{gwi:8599}}

{{gwi:236342}}

{{gwi:31555}}

{{gwi:236343}}

• dowbright
    11 years ago

Oh, Jon! These pictures made my night! Are you able to grow such stuff now because you're in a maritime climate? I'm so envious!

The reason I came to the thread, though, is that I've never ever had a successful crop of spinach. Obviously I am doing things terribly wrong! I'm in Missouri and have planted from March to May over the years.

A few sprouts at most. My soil is organically cared for, fed well, mulched. Something I'm doing is DEATH to spinach! Any ideas?

Thanks for the lovely walk through my future summer greens. :D