Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatillos from seed?

Posted by BigN_187 9 (nfinite4588@gmail.com) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 17:36

I have purple tomatillo seeds, and I sowed one group of seeds already, however the seedlings seem to be doing poorly. I'm wondering if its too late now to sow a second group to replace these? My LSFD is May 28, so would that be a sufficient amount of time or not? Is there any way to accelerate the germination process to perhaps trim some time off of getting these new seedlings ready?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatillos from seed?

Still time easily. Do you use heat mat? They speed up germination a great deal. But keep in mind that tomatillos tend to be much more 'wispy' looking than tomato plants so if they appear kinda spindly it is to be expected.

Dave

o

I don't use a heat mat, I have kind of an improvised setup right now. Distant Incandescent bulbs turned on in greenhouse until emergence, then I put fluorescent lights on the emerged seedlings. Kind of a pain, but I don't have the cash at the moment for the more professional equipment.

As far as my current seedlings, it's not that they're wispy, but rather that many have already totally died (Thanks to being trampled by animals) or have lost leaves (Insects, but I'm not sure which kind. Never seen it in the process!)

o

Trampled by animals will do it. :)

Got a cardboard box you can line with aluminum foil? Set the container of seeds down in the box and stick an incandescent bulb (40-60 wt) in the top and lay a towel over top of the box. Good heat source.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here