Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good lighting

Posted by luvahydrangea Albany, NY 5 (threehoffmans@nycap.rr.com) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 17:37

I was just in my basement transplanting some tomatoes and noticed these tomato plants which were both germinated at the same time, transplanted at the same time with the same medium, same watering schedule, etc. The only difference, was the puny one on the left was under cool, fluorescent lights, and the one on the right was under one cool light and one pink or aquarium/plant type light.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any of the aquarium bulbs this year so i have a full shelf of puny plants. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good lighting

The only difference,

Actually there are several other possible differences. :) THe color differences would indicate a nutrient difference for one.

But the primary one is seed genetics. Not all seeds of the same variety have exactly the same DNA and embryo size is one of them. It is one reason why many selectively plant only the largest seeds out of a packet.

But surprisingly, like the runt in any litter, most plants will quickly catch up with with the big guy once transplanted to the garden assuming optimal growing conditions.

Years of research in greenhouse gardening just don't support the claims made by most so-called "plant light" manufacturers with the exception that they can make a difference in blooming times - something we aren't usually interested in rushing with garden plants.

Dave

o

I actually have 5 of each (5 in the cool/warm light, 5 in the cool only light.) Maybe the nutrient deficiency can be attributed to the light assuming they are using the light for photosynthesis. Anyway, I went out and found some more of the aquarium/plant bulbs so hopefully they will catch up soon!

o

The one on the left was under one(1) light and the one on the right was under two(2)lights?

o

The one on the left, along with 4 others that look just like it, were under 2 - 4' long cool fluorescent tubes. The one on the right, along with 4 others that look just like it were under 2 - 4' long fluorescent tubes, but one was a cool light tube and the other was a warm light (aquarium/plant type light bulb.) So I believe the reason the one on the left is so scrawny is because it was only under the cool lights. I now have it under the same lights as the one on the right and hoping it catches up quickly. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here