Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Echinacea-Ruby Star, others

Posted by linlily z5/6PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 17:40

I received some Ruby Star Echinacea seeds and now that it's too late to Winter Sow, can I still expect to get decent germination? Any germination?

I start seeds, some perennials and some annuals, outdoors in May in a really large pot that I use later for mixed plantings, after I transplant the seedlings. One year I tried several different kinds of Echinacea seeds and not one germinated. A friend mentioned that I should have winter sowed them to get germination.

I recently read an on-line article that said growing Echinacea from seed works well with stratification, but that Purpurea varieties will germinate without it.

Your thoughts before I plant, please? Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Echinacea-Ruby Star, others

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 22:33

E Pupurea isn't dependent on stratification taking into account the freshness of the seed and how it's been stored, but the moist chill can improve germination. One reliable suggestion is to sow, if no germination in 3-4 weeks, move to 40F for 2-4 weeks then bring back to warm.

You may have to deviate from your large planter, but why not (for the sake of saving time) assume they will benefit from a brief moist chill, sow in something like a 4" pot, wrap in saran and put that into your refrigerator for a couple of weeks, then place outside.

o

I could probably do that, morz8. They can join the pot of Electric Blue Penstemon seeds that is already in the refrigerator!

Linda

o

can anyone please tell me how to start ,echinacea plants from seed ,,thanks

o

I have about thirty Ruby Star plants now in four inch pots in my coldframe. They were started in my unheated greenhouse on heat mats maintaining 70 degrees. No pre chilling or stratification was needed for good germination. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here