Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

Starting Echinacea-Ruby Star, others

linlily
13 years ago

I received some Ruby Star Echinacea seeds and now that it's too late to Winter Sow, can I still expect to get decent germination? Any germination?

I start seeds, some perennials and some annuals, outdoors in May in a really large pot that I use later for mixed plantings, after I transplant the seedlings. One year I tried several different kinds of Echinacea seeds and not one germinated. A friend mentioned that I should have winter sowed them to get germination.

I recently read an on-line article that said growing Echinacea from seed works well with stratification, but that Purpurea varieties will germinate without it.

Your thoughts before I plant, please? Thanks,

Linda

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

E Pupurea isn't dependent on stratification taking into account the freshness of the seed and how it's been stored, but the moist chill can improve germination. One reliable suggestion is to sow, if no germination in 3-4 weeks, move to 40F for 2-4 weeks then bring back to warm.

You may have to deviate from your large planter, but why not (for the sake of saving time) assume they will benefit from a brief moist chill, sow in something like a 4" pot, wrap in saran and put that into your refrigerator for a couple of weeks, then place outside.

• linlily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I could probably do that, morz8. They can join the pot of Electric Blue Penstemon seeds that is already in the refrigerator!

Linda

• bubba2121louie_frontier_com
    13 years ago

can anyone please tell me how to start ,echinacea plants from seed ,,thanks

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have about thirty Ruby Star plants now in four inch pots in my coldframe. They were started in my unheated greenhouse on heat mats maintaining 70 degrees. No pre chilling or stratification was needed for good germination. Al