Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants in window wilted

Posted by John_JJ 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:42

i put all my seedling in the window its direct sunlight, and my bigger seedlings that have 4 true leaves were all wilted and the little seedlings were fine. so i took them out and watered them. when they come back up should i put them in the window again or just put them under the grow lights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants in window wilted

depends on what caused it - heat, cold, or sun exposure. Hard to picture window light causing wilting so was it especially hot out or cold? Heat vent blowing on them? Any chance they are rootbound and just dried out?

Dave

o

well i watered them on the 27 and its been 80f outside so its been hot.no heat blowing on them just the heat from the sun, they were dried on top of the soil and i watered them 2 days ago so i thought that they would be still moist further down in the soil.

o

These are different sized plants. Are they in the same sized containers? if so then bigger plants will dry out much faster than smaller ones. The size of the root mass in the container is as much different as the mass of the top growth is so their water needs will be very different.

If the larger plants perked back up once you watered them then you have your answer as to the cause. Sounds like it might be time to transplant the larger plants into larger containers.

Dave

o

there all in the same sized container and they did come back up after i watered them.will transplant them to bigger containers. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here