Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatal_fatalii

Seed potato question.

fatal_fatalii
14 years ago

Seed potato question.

I have recently received some seed potatoes by mail and was wondering if I can plant the whole tuber in buckets or is there a limit on the amount of eyes can can be planted in a bucket.

Would I need to cut the tater so there would only be a certian amount of eyes in a bucket?

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

How big are these "buckets" and how deep are they and how much dirt are you going to put in them?

Potatoes need a lot of soil and a lot of room. If they don't they will push up and expose the potatoes to the sun and they will turn green and be unusable. I don't think planting potatoes in any kind of container is wise.

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Potatoes grow great in buckets or towers or bags..etc etc

But Oilpainter is correct ,you need to "hill" your potatoes so they never see the daylight,actually they don't even like their soil to be hotter than around 80 degrees,with all that in mind...go man go ;-)

Notice the extra height left in my containers,as they grow,I just keep adding soil to the top of the container.

2-19-2010
    {{gwi:46663}}

4-5-2010
    {{gwi:27141}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvesting Early Potatoes 2009

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

{{gwi:26765}}

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Jon - we got to teach you how to reduce your pics to message board size.! ;) 600x400 max size here is the preferred limit. You're using photobucket and they have an auto edit to MB size.

Dave

PS: great pics by the way. Ideal instructional picture for planting.

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

That's funny Dave (about the pic size)
    Ten years ago before everything went digital or High Speed Satellite,Cable etc etc..I used to get so mad at people posting pics that would take me actual minutes to download... AAAARRRGGHH.. But Now... I don't even consider it,you can post the largest pic known to man, and the technology to download is so fast....It is incredible.... but since you are bringing it up now,maybe it WOULD STILL behoove us to see if many (or any) forumites,are still having those issues that I thought were absolutely gone for good. We should take a poll and see who is still stuck in analog or some other slow beast and if it is a significant number of people,be more considerate to them.. I just know when I am researching anything (like I just did with a "garden centipede" ,I don't want some small pic to look at ,I want full clarity,the bigger the better....

BTW... Do you have to turn a crank on your computer,to fire it up ;-) Just Kiddin'.. Love Ya Man ;-)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

BTW... Do you have to turn a crank on your computer,to fire it up ;-)

Nah I'm high speed satellite. But I do know lots of folks out in the country who are stuck with dial-up service as it is still all that is available in many rural areas if they can't hoof the bill for satellite. Life in the country is very different than for you urbanopolis dwellers. ;)

Dave