Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems starting seeds

Posted by vschlaff (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 18:14

I started my seeds in a non heated hoop house. Almost everything germinated except my peppers and watermelon. I purchased from a good online site. The watermelon is legacy and the peppers are bell boy and ancho san martin. Non of these germinated, so i purchased some rooter plugs and began to start the seeds again. Oh, and i soaked them in the tea and paper towel and left them in the fridge for 12 hrs. Then i went to lowes to buy a bottom tray and ended up with burpee's ultimate growing system. I used my plugs instead of burpee's and put it on top of my fridge near a window. It also has the dome lid on. I. Was wondering if anyone has ustd this system with the rooter plugs. They seem great. They stay together and they should come out better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems starting seeds

Just curious.. Why did you put them in the fridge?

Peppers need warm soil to germinate, so in the soil right now or in the fridge woudl not work so well. On top of your fridge would work.

Melons, for me, are easy as pie. They have always direct sown them with no problems. I sow them in mid-may. What zone are you in?

Happy Gardening

Keriann~

o

The reason your watermelon and peppers didn't sprout is that they require a constantly hotter temperature than they would get in a non heated hoop house.

I have never used this system, but yes the rooter plugs look like they would be good. You will have better luck rooting them indoors with bottom heat.

By the way does your fridge give off heat on top. The newer ones don't

o

I put the seeds in the fridge and followed byrons famous seed starting tea directions. And then put them into the plugs and onto the burpee's growing system. I live in michigan, zone 5. My fridge is a old huge fridge. So i hope it lets off enouph heat.

o

Peppers germinate best at about 85 degrees. I am not familiar with famous Byron, but can't imagine a tea helping a seed germinate. Al

o

Thx Al, Byron's info is listed on this sight. I search seed starting tea and it brings up his way of germinating seeds. There are tons of comments.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 19:57

Byron has a point, but I can't imagine why he would use black tea instead of chammomile, which has better anti-fungal properties and is cheaper in bulk. And I still prefer 3% peroxide until germination, then tea afterwards.

o

Dicot, how do you germinte with the peroxide? Thx, Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here